Industrial Life & Health Insurance Company Building
2017 - 08/07: The Industrial Life and Health Insurance building is once again being threatened with demotion. Back in 2008, about five years before the APA came to be, the Industrial Life and Health Insurance building at 573 West Peachtree was threatened with demolition by the Emory Crawford Long Hospital, now called Emory University Hospital Midtown.
In 1986, Emory purchased 573 Peachtree and it has sat mostly vacant and un-maintained since. Designed by the architectural firm Frazier & Bodin of Atlanta, the Industrial Life and Health Insurance building was built in 1930 in what GA Tech professor Robert M. Craig calls the "modern classic" style, which reflected a transitional period of styles between traditional revival styles of the previous decades and the approaching International Style of metal and glass structures of the coming future. This building is clad in Indiana limestone, decorated with ornate garlands and pilasters, and has a lobby made with restrained decorations of Italian marble.
The Industrial Life and Health Insurance company became Life of Georgia, which in 1968 moved half a block away to the phenomenally detailed 600 Peachtree Street.
Some information on the history of the company, from the Historic Resources Survey Report for GDOT P.I. #0013214, researched/written by David Adair of Edwards-Pitman (Thanks GDOT Env. Services!)
The Life Insurance Company of Georgia, usually called Life of Georgia, grew to be one of the largest financial service organizations in the world and provided a mix of products and services, including life insurance, fixed and variable annuities, defined contribution retirement plans, and direct banking and mutual funds. In 1891, J.J. Carleton, William M. Dodd, D. Felton Owen, John N. McEachern, and Isham Mallie Sheffield founded the company in Atlanta as a mutual benefit association under the name Industrial Aid Association. The Industrial Aid Association opened offices in Macon, Savannah, Rome, and Augusta, and in 1903 the company's name was changed to the Industrial Life and Health Insurance Company. The company slowly grew and
expanded into other southern states, taking the name Life Insurance Company of Georgia in 1947.